5 steps to prepare before going on studies abroad

Another sunday, another post! 

I have a terribly bad memory, and I know for a fact that my friends will ask me about all this information next year when it's their turn to go abroad. So for their sake, and for my own sake, I'm writing these more informative posts...


With only eight days left until I move to Greece for studies abroad, it's high time to make sure (and double check) that everything is in order before my departure. I have renewed my passport, ordered eyelenses for the next six months, paused my gym-membership as well as my subscription to estrid... what more is there to be aware of?

1. The apartment at home

    • While I am away I will rent out my apartment (furnished) to a young girl who feels trustworthy. We have signed a contract, agreed on the rent and I have notified my tenant-owner association who will charge an extra fee for this. Thanks to this, I will be able to cover my housing costs in Sweden while I'm away.
      • Important: Both me and my tenant must have a home insurance policy.
    • I have also sent in an application and paid for a temporary change of address so my post is sent home to my mother's address during the time. 

2. Study loan, scholarship and money 

    • Scholarship: Everyone who is nominated for an exchange via an Erasmus agreement is guaranteed an Erasmus scholarship. The Erasmus scholarship is based on where you go and on the number of days you are on exchange. Greece is considered a country with medium living costs, which means that the amount per month that I'll receive from the Erasmus scholarship is 400 EUR. The scholarship payment is made twice: The first payment (70%) is made in the beginning of my mobility period and the remaining sum is disbursed after my return.
      • Important: After your exchange period you need to send in an attendance certificate confirming the exact dates of your exchange period in order to get the final total amount of the scholarship. 
    • Studyloan: I have chosen to take out a full study-loan from CSN, as well as an "additional cost"-loan for studies abroad which will be paid monthly from the first day of school. This sums up to student grants SEK 3 312 + studyloan SEK 7 616 + "additional cost"-loan for studies abroad SEK 2 380. This sums up to SEK 13 308, which today is about 1 304 EUR. 
      • Important: you need to submit a study declaration before each semester in order to receive your money.
    • Debit card and cash: It can be a good idea to get an extra debit card/credit card to take with you on the trip in case of an emergency. Because I'm a student and only work extra alongside my studies, I am not allowed to have a credit card. There are certainly other options, but I hope that I'll be fine with only one debit card and some cash.
      • Important: You will also need to notify your current bank that you will study abroad. For example, you will probably pay rent in the contry where you will study, which will then be seen as a foreign payment, or a payment abroad. If you don't notify your current bank about this, you risk getting locked out of your account while abroad.

3. Insurance during the semester

Swedish "home insurance" includes travel insurance, but if you are going to be away for more than 45 days, you need to extend this or buy a separate insurance
    • All students at Umeå University going on exchange to one of Umeå University’s partner universities will be covered by the insurance called STUDENT OUT through kammarkollegiet, but the insurance is only valid in the country where your host university is situated. You will receive an insurance certificate (signed) that you should print out and take with you.
    • The European Health Insurance Card is a free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country. This is a card that you can apply for and that you must bring with you during your exchange studies.
      • Important: is not an alternative to travel insurance.
    • If you are going to study within the EU/EEA or in Switzerland, you must also notify the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (försäkringskassan) that you are going to study abroad via their website.

4. Requirements for entering Greece during Covid

For Swedes only: Before going abroad, download the app "Resklar" which will give you travel information, contact information for embassies, advice and recommendations in case of emergency and more.

(2021-09-19)
    • All travellers must complete their PLF (Passenger Location form) before entering the country, providing detailed information on their point of departure, the duration of previous stays in other countries, and the address of their stay while in Greece.
    • Proof of a negative test is not required for all travelers that have completed their vaccination and hold a vaccination certificate.
    • Sweden is one of the countries from which entry is allowed, under the aforementioned conditions, without the requirement for subsequent self-isolation
    • Everyone traveling from Greece to or from the islands must complete a health declaration before boarding.
    • It is mandatory to use a mask indoors and on public transport. Outdoors, it is mandatory to use masks in places that are crowded. People who don't comply with the regulations may be fined 300 euros.
    • Demonstrations are taking place mainly in Athens and have sometimes degenerated into violence. The embassy wants travelers to avoid large crowds and demonstrations.

5. Accommodation in Athens 

As the capital of Greece with 4 million inhabitants distributed on 38,96 km² (compared with Stockholm that has 975 551 inhabitants on 188 km² haha...), it may sound unreal that it is relatively easy to find accommodation, at least that's what the locals have told me. The locals that I have been having contact with has also told me that the neighborhoods around the university (Omonia and Plateia amerikis) are not that nice and not a safe place during the night. I have also been told that Athens and the people have changed in recent years and that I should be careful and knowing the areas to be in, and areas to avoid. With this in mind, I think it might be wise to be in the city to look for an apartment instead of signing a contract in advance. And if I am going to live with others, I would like to meet them first.
    • I have chosen to book a hostel through Hotels.com for the first 28 days so that I can look for an apartment and search for roommates on site. The hostel that I'll be staying at is Selina Athens Theatrou and I have chosen to book a female dorm for a total of 6 385 SEK (629,53€). This is a bit risky and definitely outside of my comfort zone, but at the same time I have never stayed in a hostel before so I thought it would be a fun and educational experience. Worst case scenario: I can't find an apartment and have to solve it in another way? Read this: Everything will be fine! 
With love, Elsa ♡

Comments