The last week in Greece

On Saturday the 19th of February me and my friends took the metro and the bus to my favorite beach in Athens, located in Vouliagmeni just by the lake. While walking to the metro I walked through the Farmers market for one last time and bought an apple to bring with me to the beach. These markets is one thing that I'll miss the most since it became a routine to get all my fruits and vegetables there every week... 

We spent the whole day at the beach and the weather was absolutely amazing. Due to my new tattoos I wasn't able to cool down in the water, otherwise I would definitely have been in several times during this day! And before we shared two cabs back to the center, we ate dinner at the restaurant nearby and I enjoyed a Greek salad with tzatziki and bread for the last time in a long time. 
The day after, on Sunday, the introduction-week for all the new Easmus students who will study in Athens during the spring started and we all met up in the park next to the university to play flunky-ball (in Swedish: ölkubb). After the games I went with some of the new students to a restaurant where we ate gyros/souvlaki and got to know each other and share our backgrounds. The night then continued with pre-drinking at a rooftop before going to a nightclub. 

At this event I finally go to meet a lot of the students who have been in contact with me through Instragram, asking me for advice and following my experiences here during my semester. And I felt so blessed to meet them all in person and to give some final advice and make them a bit more excited for what awaits. 
The days after I spent a lot of time with my friends, my new flatmates as well as attending to my lectures and group-assignments in Sweden. We ate at six-dogs, went out to bars, spent one day at a beach and so on... I also went to the Greek-dinner arranged by the ESN with all the new students, where I once again got to meet even more people in person that I've been in contact with before. So grateful that I had this chance to truly enjoy the last days here. 
On the 24th I said my final goodbye to my friends who were leaving, and to those who were staying for the next semester and who were going on a trip with the ESN. We had coffee at a restaurant in Monastiraki and later we met for one last Greek dinner in Plaka. 

I then had 3 more days here in Athens, and I spent them with the best of company... Seeing sunsets, going to bars, eating at restaurants, taking walks in the surrounding areas and (of course) following the horrible and heartbreaking news about Ukraine...
Then Monday arrived, and at 13:40 my flight left Athens after being here for 154 days. Somehow I managed to get all my packing in the two suitcases + the hand luggage that I brought to Athens, but I couldn't understand that it was really time for me to move home... I've fallen in love with this city, and even though I've only been living here for 5 months and even though I still can't speak in greek, it honestly feels more like home than little Umeå in Sweden. It's hard to explain that... 

Going on studies abroad is the best decision I have even made, and I recommend everyone who has the chance, to take it.

I'll be back sooner than you think, but this is the end for this blog. I want to thank everyone who has followed my journey, and do not hesitate to contact you if you have any questions. HERE I have collected a google-maps-list with all my best advice on places, restaurants, bars, day trips and so on for anyone who will visit Athens. 

With endless of love, Elsa ♡

Comments