The week before Christmas

(Source: six d.o.g.s // EXHALE)
The last time that I wrote I was heading to my first Techno-festival ever. In Sweden techno-clubs not at all big or popular, especially not in Umeå where I come from. And when I first came to Athens I was so negative about it, thinking that you can neither sing nor dance to it - so what's the point? But as the weeks went by and I met people who are into the genre and the culture, I've now slowly started to understand it. "Techno is the transfer of the spirit from the human body to the machine, the link between the two. So, while some may perceive it as monotonous and dull, this is basically the point of techno, a collaboration if you like between human and machine." -SOURCE

I'm also currently taking a course in Consumer Behavior where we have talked a lot about how music activates a lot of our brain when we listen. It can actually control serotonin and dopamine inte brain and have the same effect on us as other things like food, drugs and sex. The bigger the build-up to the drop, the more dopamine you’ll get and the higher level of reward will be experienced. 

Enough about science though! The festival was amazing and felt like something completely unreal and more like a dream than reality. We ended up staying until 7 in the morning, and that day I slept until 3 in the afternoon. 
I spent the rest of my weekend at home, studying, writing on an essay and preparing for a presentation. On Monday ESN arranged one last Beerpong-party at Barstation and before that I had dinner with Anna and Hanna. I decided not to get drunk that night and only stayed for a few games before going home, but it was nice to meet everyone and to get to say goodbye to those who are leaving for Christmas this week. 
On Wednesday after classes I went out with some of the girls for dinner at schoolpizzabar to say goodbye to Anna and Venla who left on Thursday to celebrate Christmas at home. The food was really good and it was such a nice evening together. 
On Thursday I had a big deadline of handing in an essay of 10 pages about the topic "Globalization and Migration" as well as having a presentation about it in front of the whole class for 30 minutes. So proud of myself for being done with it now, such a relief!

Later that night we visited the Christmas Market in the park behind our University. This night it was 9 degrees outside and we were all freezing, so afterwards we searched for a warm place inside and ended up getting drinks in Exarchia at a bar named Spira where we sat until midnight and talked.
Friday arrived and after our class I walked with Pauline and Marion to the pick up a package for me that my sister had sent. After that we had our free brunch at the school-canteen before heading in to the center where I bought some nuts, figs and dates at the market as well as a pair of boots that I've been looking at for some time now and Pauline got some Christmas gifts for her family.  

During the rest of the day I finished and handed in another assignment and did some studying. Later that night we met up for drinks and ate dinner at my all time favorite place - six dogs.We ended up spending the rest of the night there and I arrived home around 3 in the morning while some of the others decided to go clubbing at the nightclub Lohan.
Then Saturday arrived which means one important thing: the farmers market! So at 11 I met up with Pauline and at the market I bought apples, cabbage, onions, avocados, chestnuts, kiwis, bananas, persimmons, eggs and broccoli for a total of about 8 euros (!!!). We then walked back to my place where we ate a BIG brunch, watched a christmas movie and baked my second batch of St. Lucia Saffron buns.   

During the afternoon I went for a walk and once again ended up at Strefi Hill which has become my favorite spot in Athens. From this place you can see the whole city, all the way to the sea, as well as the high mountains outside of the city which are now covered in snow.

In summary, I'm finally starting to feel better again. I've started to prioritize differently and am more careful about what I put my energy and thoughts into. It's a good, comforting feeling, to finally start recognizing myself again and to feel as if I can fully be there for my friends and loved ones again.  

With love, Elsa ♡

Comments