To you who will do your semester in Athens, Greece

If you are in doubt...

First of all, I'm so happy that you've had the courage to apply for studies abroad!! Far from all people have this courage or take this opportunity, and everyone that I've ever talked to who did't take this chance regret not doing so. So be PROUD of yourself!

I can honestly guarantee you that it will be the best decision you've made so far, and that it will be a turning-point in your life. This experience will change the way you see and value things, it will be the time of your life and you will collect memories and make friends that will last forever. Also, if you're questioning whether it will be positive for your working-career or a waste of time - you will, without doubt, grow so much as a person during this experience!

But if you are still hesitating whether or not to go - you are definitely not the only one feeling scared and nervous right now! Whether you are nervous about speaking English, meeting new people, living in a new country or maybe for the first time not living at home with mom and dad - you will never be the only one feeling that way or thinking those thoughts! And even when coming here, it will be a lot different from what you are used to at home and it will probably take some time do adjust and to get used to this city, but you will never be alone. Even if you go on your studies abroad alone from your home-uni or even alone from your country (we are only 2 people from Sweden here and i had never met the other person before) you will meet a lot of people here that are just as scared, nervous and excited as you! 

You are never alone. 

HERE I have collected a google-maps-list with all my best advice on places, restaurants, bars, day trips and so on for anyone who will visit Athens. 

The university and the ESN-organisation

Second, if you are going to AUEB (Athens university of economics and business), then I would like to congrat you. They have by far the best organisation for all the Erasmus students, with the most friendly and motivated buddys and a lot of activities throughout the whole semester with everything from trips, partys, events, gatherings, dinners and so on! But if you are going to another university, do not fear! You will be able to go on most of the events as well and you are just as welcome to most of the parties! Many of my friends here, as well as my roommate, go to other universities. But since we are all Erasmus-students we still end up going to the same events all the time - organised by ESN Athens AUEB. 

Close to the start of your semester, you will be assigned your very own Greek buddy who will be your first contact person and who will be there for you during the whole semester. Take advantage of this. See this person as your friend, your lifeline, your safety-person and your local guide. Ask questions, but also take time to get to know this person. Don't forget that we are all just humans. And these buddies are young people who are doing this out of free will, voluntary, only because they care and because they want to give you the best experience possible. Thus, you will soon be invited to group-chats on Whats-app and Facebook-groups where you will be able to contact all the other Erasmus people. Take advantage of this too, it's a great way to reach out to other people!

Here you have the web-page for ESN Athens AUEB: www.esnathens.gr

Finding ackommodation

Since it's quite easy to find ackommodation in Athens, I chose to stay at a hostel for the first weeks while searching for an apartment on site. By doing it this way, I got to see the neighborhood, meet the landlord, visit the apartment, meet my roommate before I signed the contract and payed the deposit. This worked out perfect for me and I would really recommend doing it this way, but I also understand that most people want to have this done in order to feel safe before arriving. 

But if you want to arrange it all before - be aware of the risks. Many people try to take advantage of this situation and I've heard about a lot of people who have been tricked/fooled... You can never be too sure, make sure that you know what you pay for and what contract you're signing! 

Here are some sites to visit where you can find ackommodation in Athens:
When it comes to WHERE to live, this is a completely personal opinion and something everyone must feel and find out for themselves. Although for me personally, I think that the best option is to live as close to the University as possible, preferably also close to Victoria Metro Station or Omonia Metro Station. This makes your every day-to-day life so much easier since you can just walk to and from school, go home in between classes, go to the canteen to eat as well as go to the park behind school to walk, sit down or go for a run. Also, most Erasmus-students live in this area so you will have a lot of your friends living just some meters away from you which also makes life so much easier! 

These are although also some of the worst areas in Athens during the night and when I first moved here I was terrified and really scared. But now speaking, I prefer to live close to everyone and everything, rather than to live far away in a nice neighborhood and always have to go home alone. Also, as long as you are street-smart, these areas are completely fine. Nothing has ever happened to me or to my friends, and I have been walking home many times when it's late. 

I know not everyone agrees with me on this, but as I said, this is my personal opinion.

Also, most people stay with a roommate and through most sites on Facebook the landlord will set you up with someone if you are not already searching together with a friend and this is also something I really recommend. I have never had a roommate before but it feels so nice just to have someone at home who I can talk to, who makes sure that I'm home safe and who can help me if something were to happen. To be honest, and I never thought that I would say this, but I think I prefer to have a roommate than to have my own apartment...  

Living-costs in Athens

Most students that I've talked to pay around 250-400 per month for their apartment, and when signing the contract you mostly need to pay a deposit similar to around one month of rent. At the UNI all Erasmus students have 3 free meals per day (even on weekends) that you can either eat in the canteen or have as takeaway which basically means that you can eat for free for your whole semester if you want to. And the metro/buscard is 14 for one month or 39 for 3 months with the ESN card. 

Also, flights from Athens is generally cheap so a lot of students travel a lot during the weekends. We also have half the price of all ferries, so when the weather allows it a lot of students go on day- or weekend-trips to different islands as well. 

If you want to read more... 

HERE you have my post about 5 steps to prepare before going on studies abroad 
HERE I made an attempt to put my feelings into words, just some days before my departure
HERE you have all my posts from our introduction week. 

And as always, don't hesitate to contact me. You can find my Instagram here: @elsawennstrom

Take care.
With love, your Elsa ♡

Comments