A day on the go

As I'm sitting down to write this, I'm feeling kinda overwhelmed. Where do i start? It already feels as if I would like to write an entire book, not to mention all the pictures I want to show. For those of you who follow me on Instagram, you've already been able to follow my journey this week and see day by day what I've been up to. Yet even that is far from everything, and I haven't even been here for a whole week yet!? 

Because of this, I have decided that I have to break it down into posts day by day, it is simply impossible for me to summarize it in a single post. The same goes for the week that follows, since the introduction-week begins today and will last all week. So, here you have the story of where it all began..

Monday 27th of September

On Monday morning at 8, my mom came to my apartment and drove me to the airport. I had slept well that night, probably because I hadn't been able to get it in to my head that I was actually going to Athens. But at the airport in Umeå, my hole body started shaking due to nervousness and as I hugged my mother to say goodbye, I realized that I was actually going away. And as you can probably guess, I was super nervous and scared the whole flight to Arlanda and couldn't stop my hands from shaking.

*A good advice: Bring a book! Preferably in English in order to get in the right mindset. I'm currently reading the book Penelope by Rebecca Harrington.  
Once at Arlanda, however, all my nervousness was released. Since I had booked the flight from Umeå to Athens, I didn't even need to worry about checking in my luggage at Arlanda. So in peace I walked around at the airport and bought one of my favorite dishes for brunch: a baguette with salami and brie, which I ate while I waited at my gate with my head and mind resting in the story of my book. Once on the flight I had brought a salad for dinner instead of paying for food on the plane.

*A good advice: Yes, to most countries in Europe you are allowed to bring your own food on the plane as long as it's not liquid. 

Once in Athens everything went well and I was welcomed to 29 degrees altough it was already past 8 pm. I followed the crowd leaving the plane, got my luggage, showed the people on the airport my PLF-document and then met up with my taxidriver who held up a sign with my name on it. I had booked the taxi in advance since it's easy to be tricked into paying more if you don't. The week before, a student from Spain had been charged 100€ when the trip between the airport and the city center actually costs around 35€ to 40€. My taxi driver was nice, but not too unexpected, he was quick to clarify that he is single and wanted to find someone from Sweden, and he even offered to invite me for coffee instead of driving me to my hostel. Also, I had to enter my phone number when I booked the trip, so later that night he also wrote to me on Whatsapp. 

*A good advice: Book your taxi in advance and do not choose the cheapest alternative. 

When I arrived at my hostel, they welcomed me with open arms and since I'm staying for a whole month they welcomed me as one of them. They helped me with my bags to my room, a female dorm with 6 beds (but due to covid, each person has their own bunk bed) with a toilet that has a shower as well as a balcony, and then they showed me around. In total, the hostel has 9 floors and on the top they have a rooftop with a bar/restaurant. 

*A good advice: Pack all the things that you'll need for the first night in your hand luggage and even clothes to wear the first day if you would be unlucky enough to loose your luggage. Also, it was convenient not to have to dig in the suitcase in order to go to bed. 
On the rooftop I met a group of people that had been to the islands of Greece and I ended up joining them for the rest of the night before going to sleep. And at this point, I felt more alive and free than ever.

With love, Elsa ♡

Comments