Heavy rain floods

On Wednesday I once again slept until late and then met up with some friends to eat our free lunch at the schools canteen. From 15-17 I had Innovation in Organizations (with a Swedish teacher!) and after that we walked back to the canteen to take our free dinner as take away. Before going home, I walked home with my Liselot to see her apartment and their rooftop from where you can see basically the whole city.  

On Thursday I woke up to the sound of thunder and heavy rain, and the rain kept on pouring down the entire day (more than 140 mm of rain in some areas) causing flooded streets and all citizens in the city received a message on their phones from The Ministry of Civil Defense to avoid going outdoors unless necessary. On this day, Athens lack of good infrastructure which hasn't been sufficiently maintained and upgraded for decades, was obvious. The result of the heavy rainfall was among other things traffic disruptions on many roads, power outages, flooded homes and buildings, metro lines that were shut down, and not too surprising our classes at university was canceled for the rest of the week. We heard the thunder several times that day, and many times it was so loud that the house shook and so loud that you could feel it in your body. Cool on one hand, but also a little scary.

In the afternoon, I could not stand sitting inside my apartment anymore and the storm had calmed down, so I went out to see it with my own eyes. But our area had, thankfully, survived the storm well. I walked around thinking how disappointed I would have been if this had been my weather on a vacation in Greece, and how privileged and happy I felt to now that I had the time to experience this without having to feel that way.

Despite the weather, I once again ended the day with a salad that contained chickpeas, feta cheese, greek olives and vegetables as well as a bowl of greek yogurt and sliced peach before I went to bed.

With love, Elsa ♡

Comments